Thursday, June 4, 2015

For Game Theory Enthusiast - TOETACTIC - the Game

6/04/2014

Game Theory is a branch of mathematics a lot of people are unaware up.

I am sure you remember playing Tic-Tac-Toe as a child (or even as an adult).  It does not take most people very long to realize that there are certain squares that will help you win (or at least ensure that you do not lose) more that other squares.

When I tried to get my student to play Tic-Tac-Toe most of them found out what the best stratagies were, and when both players know these stratagies - well it ends up with a situation where every game ends in a draw.  BORING.

So I started thinking again (sorry, its a bad habit).  Anyway, I thought what if we changed the game.  What if the goal of the game is to make your opponent get three in a row.  I know its like Tic Tac Toe turned inside out or backwards - so I called this new game "Toetactic".

Try it!  Let me know if you can figure out a stratagy that will ensure a win for either the first or second player.


David

No comments:

Post a Comment